Thursday, February 23, 2006

Round 6 of the KCC Championship


diagram

Black to play and win.

I have posted the games from Round 6 of the 2006 Kenilworth Chess Club Championship. FM Steve Stoyko avenged his loss to Mike Wojcio from last year's tournament by playing a precise and devastating system against Mike's favorite Benoni Wall. I think Steve used less than ten minutes for the entire game. My own game was something of an embarrassment and continues my tendency toward opening slips. As Mark pointed out, we had basically the same line in the Summer Tournament, where I got a clear edge out of the opening, so he expected me to know what I was doing.... And John Moldovan continued his strong performance in the championship with a victory over Ari Minkov (see diagram above), after having offered Ari a draw at one point. Moldovan thus challenges the idea that those offering draws are at most risk of losing... The tournament continues this evening and next week.

No comments: