Monday, October 13, 2008

NJKO GMs Profiled

"Chairmen of the Board" is the title of a nice profile of New Jersey Knockouts teammates and fellow GMs Joel Benjamin and Boris Gulko in the Bergen County magazine 201 (from the North Jersey area code). Besides the news that GM Stripunsky recently moved to New Jersey, the most interesting quotes for me were the following:
“Actually, I have to say that my friends, we almost never play chess,” Benjamin admits. “I never play a casual game of chess. I don’t even really work out with a colleague anymore.”

Gulko echoes a similar sentiment. “I play in competitions,” he says. “Not much at home for pleasure.”
Makes you happy to be an amateur...

1 comment:

Bionic Lime said...

Note that the article is apparently significantly longer and with more photographs in the printed version of the magazine.